Kanahooka High School

Towards a better world

Telephone02 4261 4011


Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

Being a parent or carer to a high school student can seem somewhat daunting. The work is much more complex than primary school, social relationships can change and it can be difficult to know how to help your teenager get through their high school years.

The NSW Government has created an online community which includes a website, mobile app and social media channels (such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube) to provide support for parents and carers.

Included in the content are assignment starters, how to communicate with the school, deal with bullying, glossaries and homework sheets, all presented in plain-English.

Please go to the link http://www.schoolatoz.com.au for further information. 

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. Ph: 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. Ph: 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. Ph: 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.